I call this Arizona Cowboy Caviar because I'm in Arizona and it's similar to Texas Caviar made with black eyed peas and the lentils do resemble fish eggs. My Arizona Cowboy Caviar recipe is made with lentils, chile peppers and red onion in a spicy citrus vinaigrette.
- 2 packs of Trader Joe's steamed lentils or 40oz (5 cups) of prepared lentils.
- 1 fresh Jalapeno or Serrano pepper chopped fine
- ½ of a red onion chopped
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil optional
- 2 tablespoons Franks Hot Sauce or equivalent
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 5 squares of Dorot fresh/frozen cilantro cubes
- Juice from one large or two medium sized lemons
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Mix everything together in a large bowl. Chill for 20 minutes to let the flavors meld and enjoy.
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!