Baguette Breakfast Bake
Servings: 8 -10
Here's an elegant, yet quick and easy baked breakfast casserole. Tuck savory Canadian bacon, eggs, herbs and cheese inside crusty baguettes the night before. When you wake up, add a little cream, then slip it into the oven for brunch. This recipe originally appeared on Tastecooking.com
- One full-sized baguette
- 8-10 eggs
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8-10 slices Canadian bacon
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the baguette into eight to 10 pieces of varying size, so that children can have smaller portions if
- desired. Line them up, edge side down in one medium or two small buttered casserole dishes.
- Create a hole in the middle of each slice of baguette by pushing the soft bread in the middle down to
- the bottom of the casserole dish. Press a slice of Canadian bacon into the hole, then crack an egg on
- Gently crack the egg on top of the Canadian bacon-stuffed baguette.
- Whisk the nutmeg into the cream*. Pour in a tiny bit of cream into each baguette to fill, then pour any
- remaining cream into the cracks between the bread slices. (*Note: If making the night before, wait to add
- the cream until you are ready to put it in the oven.)
- Sprinkle with chives, salt, and pepper and top with the shredded Gruyere and grated Parmesan.
- Pour on cream, then top with the cheeses and chives.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until the egg is cooked throughout and the top is browned.
- Serve immediately.
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!