There is no flour in these breakfast muffin cups, yet they're still light and fluffy! The secret is to beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. I mixed in spicy Italian chicken sausage and cheddar cheese, but feel free to experiment with your favorite sausage and cheese combinations. This recipe was originally published on TodayFood.com.
- 3 eggs separated
- 3 ounces low-fat or full-fat cream cheese softened
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 pre-cooked Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage links
- ¼ cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan for garnish
- light butter or creme fraiche for serving
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Put the egg yolks and cream cheese in one bowl and the egg whites and Cream of Tartar in another bowl.
- Blend the egg whites with an electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 to 5 minutes. Then, beat the egg yolks and cream cheese together until smooth, about a minute.
- Fold the yolk mixture into the fluffy whites with a rubber spatula, gently so the whites don't deflate too much.
- Remove the sausage from the casing and crumble into the batter. Add the cheddar cheese and gently fold to combine.
- Spoon the batter into 6 greased ramekins or oven-safe mugs, leaving about 1/2 inch space at the top. (It will say on the bottom of the mug if they are oven-safe.)
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of parmesan and cheddar and serve with Creme Fraiche or a pat of butter.
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!