- 1 Outdoor or indoor grill or grill pan
Grilled flour tortillas stuffed with carne asada, green onions, cheese, & crispy corn tortilla chips for extra crunch! Everything you want in a quesadilla - with more crunch!
- 1 pound 1/8-to-¼-inch thick skirt steaks or bottom round steaks
- 1 tablespoon sea salt preferably Sonoran
- ⅛ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano optional but recommended
- ⅛ teaspoon red chile powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 squirt bottle filled with pineapple juice about 1/2 cup
- 4 8-10 inch good quality flour tortillas the best you can find
- 4 Scallions washed and dried
- 2 cups shredded Queso Quesadilla Oaxaca and/or Mexican cheese blend
- 6-8 tortilla chips - per quesadilla
- Preheat the grill to 425 degrees. You want a very hot grill. Combine sea salt, oregano, chile powder and garlic powder in a small bowl. Pat dry the steaks and sprinkle generously with the asada seasoning blend. Flip them over onto the grill, then season the other side.
- Nestle the scallions in on the sides or wherever they will fit. Cook two minutes. Squirt pineapple juice on one side of the steaks, then flip them and squirt pineapple juice on the other side. Cook for 2 minutes more or until desired doneness.
- Remove the steaks and scallions from the grill and rest for a minute or two, then slice the meat against the grain. Dice the meat and scallions into ¼-inch to ½-inch pieces. Keep warm.
For the Quesadillas
- Lay each tortilla on a work surface. Layer half of the tortilla with a portion of cheese, then portions of carne asada, scallions and tortilla chips, followed by another portion of cheese on top. Fold the empty half of the tortilla on top. Carefully place on the grill using a large spatula so that the fillings don’t fall out. Grill 4-5 minutes or until crispy. Slice with a pizza cutter and enjoy!
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!