A spicy deviled egg recipe using caviar and capers for a garnish.
I've been having an unyielding urge for deviled eggs. Since I like a salty-spicy combo I'll use caviar for a garnish when I'm feeling fancy. Otherwise I'll just use capers. I feel that it's important to buy organic eggs and I always try to buy eggs that come from chickens that are fed flax seed, giving their eggs a healthy dose of Omega3. They're a great idea for vegetarians.I learned how to make hard boiled eggs from Martha Stewart (not in person... on her website). Here's the link if you want to check out her instructions.This recipe serves one as a snack. For a crowd, multiply the recipe by the number of people expected to eat them.
- 2 Eggs Hard boiled and cooled
- 1 tsp. Light Miracle Whip or other light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Yellow Mustard I like French's
- 1 tsp. Sauce from a can of chipotle chilies- save the rest of the can for something else.
- Garnish: Cayenne pepper capers and/or caviar
- Place eggs in a medium saucepan; add cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a rolling boil. Remove pan from heat; cover, and let stand 13 minutes. Drain, and run eggs under cold water to cool them.
- Peel eggs, wet a sharp non-serrated knife and slice each egg in half lengthwise. Scoop out the yolk, leaving the whites intact. Transfer yolks to a medium bowl mix together with mayonnaise, mustard and chipotle sauce.Â With a small spoon fill the hollowed out whites with the yolk mixture. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper and top with a dab of caviar and/or a capers.
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!