A simple and satisfying crustless quiche that has all of the things I love; peppers (both hot & sweet), onions, Swiss, Gruyere, eggs, and cream.
- 1 ¾ cup cream
- 1 ½ cup shredded Gruyere and/or Swiss cheese divided
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot Giardiniera mix I like this one
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Grated Parmesan for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese onto the bottom of a pie pan.
- SautÃ© onions in butter over medium-high heat until browned. Add chopped red pepper and Giardiniera and cook for about a minute more. Remove from heat.
- Scald cream in a medium sized saucepan at medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low. Whisk in 1 cup of the cheese and continue stirring until melted. (There will be 1/4 cup of cheese left.) Remove pan from heat and beat in eggs one at a time until completely incorporated. Then, add in the pepper & onion mixture and spices.
- Pour into a pie plate and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until well browned, about 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan before serving.
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!
The quiche is puffed up right from the oven.
After a couple of minutes it deflates a little bit.