A cheesy chicken and broccoli casserole featuring my copycat condensed Cream of Chicken Soup recipe.
Gooey, Creamy, Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- NOTE: I used Le Creuset 7-ounce ramekins
For a lower carb version of this dish, replace the pasta with an additional cup of chopped broccoli. Serves 4
For the Copycat Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- ½ cup milk
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
For the Casserole
- 3 cups chopped warm rotisserie chicken (skin removed)
- 1 ten-ounce bag of steamed broccoli cuts prepared according to package instructions
- 1 10.5- ounce can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup mini pasta shells
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2-4 tablespoons curry powder (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Make the roux. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour. Continue whisking constantly for 3-5 minutes or until well combined and slightly puffy. Remove saucepan from the heat and let cool for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and whisk until well combined.
- Return the the stove over medium heat. Add the milk and spices and continue to whisk for 2-5 minutes or until it thickens and starts to boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare the pasta shells according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Mix together all of the ingredients, except for the cheese in a large bowl. Spoon the mixture into four 7-ounce ramekins, then place them on a baking sheet. Top each ramekin with an equal portion of cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!