Every year on the 4th of July I make a different version Mexican grilled corn, along with the Sonoran style hot dog is a popular Tucson Sonoran street food.
Servings: 4 servings
Recipe for Sonoran style elotes
- 2 T light mayonnaise
- 2 T non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 T minced fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 T grated Cotija or Romano cheese
- 1 T olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- 4 large ears corn shucked
- Heat the grill or a grill pan to medium. In a large bowl, combine oil, salt, and remaining chipotle chili. Smash with a fork until well combined; add corn and toss until coated evenly.
- While corn is grilling, combine mayonnaise, yogurt, cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, black pepper, lime juice, and cheese in large bowl; set aside.
- Grill corn over coals, turning occasionally, until lightly charred on all sides, 7 to 12 minutes total. Remove from grill and place in bowl with mayonnaise mixture; toss to coat evenly. Garnish with more cheese. Serve immediately
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!