Growing up, in my family we liked our salmon smoked. Preferably on top of a bagel and cream cheese. Well, I haven't eaten a bagel since I decided that the payoff wasn't worth the 450 calories of bad carbs. I still love the lox and cream cheese combo, and I love it even more with red onion, tomato and capers.
- 4 eggs or 1 cup egg substitute
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ cup cream cheese softened or whipped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Hot sauce to taste
- ½ red onion
- 1 Tablespoon capers
- Sliced fresh tomato
- 3-4 oz of smoked salmon lox
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut up 1/4 of the onion into thin strips. Saute in an 8-10" oven-safe saucepan on the stove-top at medium heat while you whisk the eggs, milk, lemon juice and hot sauce, salt and pepper together with 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese.
- Pour into the skillet with the onions.
- Cut 1/2 of the smoked salmon into bite sized pieces and gently place on top of the wet egg mixture. Cook until the egg mixture starts to pull away from the side of the skillet. The Frittata will still be wet in the places.
- Drop the remaining cream cheese in small dollops into the skillet and sprinkle in the capers.
- Place the skillet into the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool slightly before topping with the remaining lox, sliced onions, fresh tomatoes and good sea salt. Slice and enjoy.
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!