I LOVE Brussels sprouts!! And Brussels sprouts and bacon compliment each other so perfectly that this may be my favorite food of all time. You cook the bacon in with the sprouts so that a little bit of bacon grease seeps into them and makes them crispy. I can't explain why this dish is so good... it just is. I cooked up a batch for the photo and ended up eating the whole pan for dinner along with a glass of wine, and I was happy. VERY happy.Two strips of bacon and two cups of veggies seems like a healthy balanced meal to me, especially because bacon is way lower in fat and calories than you might think. Two strips of bacon contain 80 calories and 8 grams of fat.When selecting your Brussels sprouts go for the smaller ones, they'll be sweeter.
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts
- ¼ cup half-and-half - regular or nonfat
- 2 slices uncooked thick cut bacon chopped into 1/4" pieces - If possible, get it from the meat counter, not from a package.
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Remove the outermost leaves from the Brussels sprouts, wash well and cut in half.
- Place in a 9x12 casserole with the bacon, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Pour in the cream. Bake for 45-55 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until the sprouts are very brown and crispy around the edges.
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!
Looking for more Thanksgiving Recipes? Try my less healthy spicy, Southwestern mashed potatoes and sausage gravy.