It tastes like lasagna, yet it is not lasagna.
Not only is this warm, hearty dip vegetarian, it’s also low-carb and gluten free, so you can serve it at a party and not worry about everyone’s dietary needs too much, unless of course they don’t eat cheese, because this recipe is loaded with it. (Yay for cheese.) Serve with fresh zucchini, carrot and celery slices, pasta chips and/or crostini.
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1.5 cups marinara sauce spicy arrabbiata sauce or other tomato based spaghetti sauce.
- ½ cup cream cheese softened
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ cup chopped spinach
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup Parmesan
- ½ cup fresh mozzarella sliced, or use the small Ciliegine balls
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes optional.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the ricotta, 1/4 cup of the spaghetti sauce, cream cheese and half of the Italian seasoning.
- Spoon it into the bottom of a 4-cup (1quart) baking dish. Top with a layer of sliced mushrooms followed by layers of spinach, & basil, then enough of the remaining spaghetti sauce to cover.
- Arrange a layer of sliced mozzarella cheese on top of that, then sprinkle an even layer of Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper flakes over everything.
- Garnish with a couple of mushroom slices to make it pretty.
- Bake for 20 minutes until browned and melty.
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!