Salsa in desserts? Yes indeed!
The fine folks at Sam’s Fresh Salsa asked me to develop some unique recipes using their salsas in unexpected ways. The mango-pineapple was so good, and so truly fresh tasting, that I found myself eating it straight out of the container… like a snack. I realized that it would taste just as good in desserts so I invented two pleasantly surprising frozen and fruity salsa forward treats.
- 1 blender
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 ½ cups Sam’s Fresh Mango Pineapple Salsa divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Whisk sugar into water in medium saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Let cool completely.
- Put 2 cups of Sam’s Fresh Mango Pineapple Salsa in a resealable freeze bag, flatten so the salsa isn’t too thick inside the bag and freeze. Save the other 1/2 cup for serving.
- Hit the bag of frozen frozen salsa with a meat mallet to break it up a bit then put in in a blender along with the simple syrup and lemon juice. Run the blender for a few seconds to mix completely. Spoon into serving bowls, garnish with the reserved mango-pineapple salsa and serve immediately.
- Ice Pop molds
- popsicle sticks
- ½ cup Sam’s Fresh Mango Pineapple Salsa
- ½ cup Greek yogurt any variety
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Tajin powder to taste