This crispy matzo based breakfast is a cross between molletes and huevos rancheros. I used beans from a can and my homemade chiltepin salsa.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 sheet of Matzoh
- ½ cup refried beans
- ¼ cup prepared salsa
- 1 thin slice red onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a skillet.
- Gently crack the egg into the skillet and fry until the edges are crispy and the yolk is set to desired firmness, about 5-8 minutes.
- Carefully spread beans over the matzoh so as to not crack the sheet. The beans don’t have to be hot yet.
- Place the sheet of bean covered matzoh in a toaster oven, or full sized oven and toast until warmed, about 5 minutes. You can either use the toast setting or bake at 250 degrees.
- Drizzle salsa over the warm beans. Top with red onion and the egg. Enjoy!
Be sure to watch the video on how to make my Chiltepin Salsa.
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!