- 4 eggs
- ½ small onion chopped
- 1 Serrano chili chopped
- 1 large tomato or 3 Campari tomatoes chopped
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sharp cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a small oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sautÃ© until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, serrano chili, cilantro, paprika and chopped tomatoes and cook until fragrant about 5 more minutes. If the sauce gets too thick add a little water.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and carefully crack the eggs into the simmering sauce.
- Pour in the cream and continue to simmer until the eggs are set.
- Top with cheese and place under the broiler until the cheese melts and starts to brown.
Top view of the eggs just starting to set as the simmer in the sauce:
The finished dish with cheese melted on top:
Side view of the Shakshuka where you can see the layers of sauce, eggs and cheese: