Servings: 2 4
Molletes beat avocado toast any day! These open-faced breakfast sandwiches are made by slathering refried beans onto toasted bolillo rolls and then heaping avocado slices, a fried egg, hot sauce, and lots of cheese on top. If you can't find bolillos at your local bakery, use a sweet French roll instead.
- 2 bolillo rolls or demi baguette halved lengthwise
- 1 cup refried beans warmed
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco
- 4 fried eggs
- 1 medium avocado sliced
- Hot sauce to taste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black
- pepper to taste
- Chile powder to taste
- Preheat the broiler.
- Toast the bread until golden brown and then place on a foil-lined baking sheet or toaster oven pan. Heap the beans on top of each bread slice, dividing evenly, then cover with the cheese, again dividing evenly.
- Place the sandwiches under the broiler or in the toaster oven until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the sandwiches from the oven and layer each with 1 fried egg and a few slices of avocado. Season with hot sauce, salt, pepper and chile powder to taste.
Be sure to watch the video of Jackie making molletes on WGN Chicago! This recipe is an excerpt from Taste of Tucson: Sonoran-Style Recipes Inspired by the Rich Culture of Southern Arizona, by Jackie Alpers. This photograph won honorable mention in the 2021 International Photography Awards in the food photography category.
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!