These easy candied apples are a healthy, sweet treat that are fun for kids to make. I used Lady Apples, which are stunning, tiny, sweet apples that resemble crab apples. Also called Christmas Apples, they are generally available in stores starting in mid-October. The candy melts are small discs that come in a variety of colors and are available at Michael’s and other craft stores as well as some supermarkets. I chose pink because I thought it looked nice with the red apples, but it’s fun to play around and find the colors you like best.
- You Will Need:
- parchment paper
- cookie sheet
- microwave oven
- microwave safe ceramic or glass bowl
- stir stick or butter knife - I use disposable wooden skewers.
- oven mitts
- 8 -10 Lady Apples with long stems
- 4 oz candy melts
- Place the candy melts in the microwave safe bowl on top of a plate. The melted candy gets very hot so be careful. Heat in microwave for 60 seconds at 50% power stirring half-way through. If the candy is not completely melted continue cooking at 20 second intervals. The melted candy and the bowl will be very hot, so be sure to use an oven mitt when removing it from the microwave.
- Take the apples by the stem and swirl them into the hot melted candy, leaving some of the apple showing at the top. Place them on the parchment sheet to cool. When all of the apples are coated place the cookie sheet in the freezer for at least 15 minutes or until the candy is hard. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
After dipping the apples in the candy mixture dry them on a parchment lined cookie sheet.