Start your day with this Tucson Sonoran style power breakfast. It's vegetarian yet high in protein, complex carbs and healthy fats.
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- ¼ cup green salsa
- ¾ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon chia seeds
- ½ cup prepared tepary beans
- ½ of an avocado sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ½ cup zucchini or summer squash diced or spiralized
- 2 tablespoons chunky pico de gallo salsa
- Bring broth and salsa to a boil in a medium pot. Add quinoa, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 12 minutes or according to package directions.
- Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and chia seeds, cover and steam for 5 minutes. In the meantime fry the egg in a teaspoon of butter.
- Spoon the quinoa into the bottom of a serving bowl. Arrange the beans, fried egg, avocado slices and chunky salsa on top.
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!