This Cauliflower Coconut "Fried Rice" recipe is vegetarian yet high in protein and keto friendly. Cauliflower that has been pre-chopped into tiny rice-sized bits is one of my favorite food product. It's almost indistinguishable from real rice in recipes, yet contains significantly less carbs, so it's perfect for grain-free and Paleo diets. Trader Joe's makes both fresh and organic frozen varieties, but if you can't find pre-riced cauliflower, pulse chopped cauliflower in a food processor for the same results. If you want a little more protein, add about a half cup of diced cooked pork, shrimp, tofu or chicken. Use coconut aminos or gluten free soy sauce (tamari) if you are sensitive.
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, coconut aminos or tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sambal Oelek
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce (optional)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon Thai seasoning blend such as Gourmet Garden
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Stir fry the riced cauliflower until it starts to brown, about two minutes.
- Add the sesame seeds and chopped onion and continue to stir fry for a minute or two more.
- One at a time, stir in the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, Sambal Oelek and Sriracha.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in coconut milk, cilantro, basil and Thai spice blend. Simmer until almost all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the beaten egg, stir until well combined and cook for two minutes more.
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!