Sonoran Style Vegetarian Nachos Supreme Stuffed Bell Peppers
Sweet bell peppers stuffed with creamy nacho cheese, avocado, pickled jalapeños, black beans and crunchy tortilla chips. This fun vegetarian recipe is an outtake from my cookbook, Taste of Tucson.
- 2 red, orange or yellow bell peppers
- 8 to 10 tortilla chips per pepper half gently crushed
- ½ cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeños optional
- 1 cup nacho cheese sauce warmed
- 1 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1 small ripe avocado chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 °F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and pith. Fill each pepper halfway with the crushed chips.
- Divide beans and chopped jalapeños, (if using) among peppers. Spoon ¼ cup warm nacho cheese sauce into each pepper. Top each with ¼ cup shredded cheese. Bake until peppers are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Top each pepper with a tablespoon of Greek yogurt or sour cream, a few chopped tomatoes, and some avocado.
- Makes 4 side-dish servings.
Tip: You can substitute poblano chiles for a little more kick.
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!