Sweet bell peppers stuffed with creamy nacho cheese, avocado, pickled jalapeños, black beans and crunchy tortilla chips. This fun vegetarian recipe is an outtake from my cookbook, Taste of Tucson.
- 2 red, orange or yellow bell peppers
- 8 to 10 tortilla chips per pepper half gently crushed
- ½ cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeños optional
- 1 cup nacho cheese sauce warmed
- 1 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1 small ripe avocado chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 °F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and pith. Fill each pepper halfway with the crushed chips.
- Divide beans and chopped jalapeños, (if using) among peppers. Spoon ¼ cup warm nacho cheese sauce into each pepper. Top each with ¼ cup shredded cheese. Bake until peppers are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Top each pepper with a tablespoon of Greek yogurt or sour cream, a few chopped tomatoes, and some avocado.
- Makes 4 side-dish servings.
Tip: You can substitute poblano chiles for a little more kick.
Hungry for More?Buy the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!